Life Always Wins
By Kristen Nupson, Legislative/PAC Director
Life is a winning issue.
History has shown that a culture that does not value life cannot survive.
Last week at the Democratic National Convention, the issue of abortion was not once explicitly mentioned. Democrats, especially Joe Biden, know that to acknowledge the party’s platform on “reproductive rights” is to publicly accept killing unborn children until the moment of birth, a philosophy that the vast majority of Americans reject.
Joe Biden, a professing Catholic, was considered pro-life for over 30 years of his political career. When the two parties became increasingly polarized on the issue, Biden neglected his personal and religious convictions to side with the Democrats. Before his vice presidency, Biden opposed taxpayer-funded abortion; he supported state protections and regulations.
In less than a decade, the Democratic party moved from, “safe, legal, and rare,” to backing movements like #ShoutYourAbortion. Although they avoid talking about it, their adopted platform makes clear their extremism:
- Opposition to all federal and state laws that prohibit or restrict abortion, which would include legislation like the Born Alive Infant Protection Act
- Support of restoring taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood
- Support the protection and codification of the right to abortion
- Support of repealing the Hyde Amendment, which prohibits federal funds from being used for abortion services
- Opposition to all restrictions on chemical abortions
- Opposition to conscience-based exemptions that would allow refusal of contraceptive and abortifacient provision
Joe Biden won’t articulate his precise views on abortion, because he knows doing so will either get him canceled by his base, or expose his extremism to moderate America. His selection of running mate, Senator Kamala Harris, made his position clear, however. Harris, whose voting record includes opposition to providing medical care to infants who survive abortion procedures, also has a history of prosecuting pro-lifers as California’s attorney general.
Is this extremism what Americans want?
In direct contrast to the DNC, the Republican National Convention was marked by a theme of life. Republicans and their leadership recognize that the right to life is a topic worthy of publicity. The week-long event featured speakers who repeatedly gave a voice to the voiceless.
President Trump requested that Abby Johnson, former Planned Parenthood director, share her story. In her address, she outlined Planned Parenthood’s profit scheme, detailed the horror of abortion, and gave humanity to the unborn. Sister Deirdre Byrne spoke about the sanctity of life, describing the unborn in America as the marginalized and oppressed. These were not the only pro-life messages, though. Life was interwoven throughout the entire week:
- Natalie Harp, who shared about how the Right to Try and experimental treatment allowed her to choose life over the too-often repeated mantra of “death with dignity.”
- Detective Ryan Holet, who shared how his encounter with an addicted pregnant mother led to the adoption of his beautiful daughter, Hope.
- Nick Sandmann, who shared how his decision to support “the most pro-life President” at the March for Life led to national slander by media outlets.
- Tera Myers, who shared her journey of being a special needs mom, from being pressured to abort her son to selecting his education.
- Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany, who shared how President Trump supports her in the White House as a young working mother.
- Coach Lou Holtz, who shared his trust of President Trump because of his advocacy for the unborn and warned of the extremism of the Biden/Harris ticket.
- Chen Guangcheng, who shared how his denouncement of China’s forced abortion policies and repression of the disabled community forced him to his escape to the United States.
- Vice President Pence, who shared that “President Trump has stood without apology for the sanctity of human life every day of this administration” while Joe Biden “supports taxpayer funding of abortion right up to the moment of birth.”
- Ann Dorn, who shared the story of her husband’s tragic death, attributing the incident to callousness and indifference to human life. “Every life is precious,” she pled.
- Dr. Ben Carson, Secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development, who shared about the racism of abortion in the United States and its disproportional effect on the African American communities.
- Senator Mitch McConnell, who shared that “today’s democrat offers no protections for unborn Americans.”
- Ivanka Trump, who shared about her father’s work to give child tax credits and support mothers in the workforce through family leave policy.
- President Trump, who shared about the radical Democrat policies of late-term abortion and the extermination of defenseless babies right up to the moment of birth. He declared, “all children, born and unborn, have a God-given right to life.”
As the two parties move further away from each other, Americans must make a decision. It is clear that only one side values the sanctity of life and speaks for the voiceless. Choose the winning side. Choose life.